Google
Add to Technorati Favorites

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Movies This Weekend! 2/29/08

ShowHype: hype it up!
Wow, I can't believe its the end of February already. Overall, I think it wasn't that bad for movies, but nothing overly impressive either. I only saw a couple movies... not usual for a film buff like me. Just kidding, I really don't have too much time for movies unless I'm screening them..... which I will be doing this Thursday :-).

That being said, here are my options!

Semi-Pro - The latest Will Ferrell movie. It's 1976, and Jackie Moon is the owner/player/coach of a fairly unsuccessful American Basketball Association team. He learns that the ABA is going to be merged with the NBA, and is extremely excited. However, things change when he finds out that his team is not one of the teams that will be merged. Not to be defeated, Moon suggests that the teams with the best records should be the ones to be merged. The league accepts his idea, and Moon must work hard promoting his team, while at the same time trying to win games so they can join the NBA elite.

How's it Gonna Do? - Well, I can already pretty much guarantee that this is gonna be the #1 movie this weekend. That's usually how Will Ferrell movies do. However, I can't say that I'm overly excited for this one. It's the same role that Mr. Ferrell has been doing for the past 5 years or so. It's going to have its moments, that's for sure. It will be a fun screening movie, but don't go into expecting too much, and you'll leave amused.

Penelope - Penelope is a young woman with a special blessing. That blessing just happens to be a pig's nose for her nose. Every time she finds a guy, and they see her nose, they take the quickest way out possible.... which is usually the second floor window. Will she be able to find true love?

How's it gonna do? - Well, this is definitely an interesting concept. I can't say that I've heard of this one before, and I'm not even sure that my theatre is going to get the movie, but I can say that if we did, I would like to see it. I like Christina Ricci (Penelope), and it just seems like it could be a nice, funny movie. It's not going to have a huge impact at the box office by any means (in my opinion anyway), but it could be an ok film.

The Other Boleyn Girl - Based on the novel by Phillipa Gregory, this film tells the story of two sisters who are driven by their father to pursue the King of England. Of course, he has selfish reasons as he is trying to enhance the power of his own family by getting them closer to the King. When Mary (Scarlett Johannsen) wins the affections of the king, becoming his mistress, her sister, Anne (Natalie Portman) is not to be denied. She sidesteps her sister, and the Queen. Anne will not stop until she has reached the ultimate goal, becoming Queen herself.

How's it gonna do? - A history lesson that might actually be fun to watch, and its not hurt at all by having two of the most beautiful women in hollywood in it. I remember reading about it a lot in high school, and I never thought this story had these sort of twists in it. I'm interested, but at the same time, it feels a little old fashioned. Don't know how into the history love story I am. I think that there will be those who are interested though. #3 for the week.

Not terrible for major releases this week. I'll be sure to let you guys know how Semi-Pro is after seeing it on Thursday. Here are your limited releases for the week:

Unforseen
Chicago 10
City of Men
Bonneville
Beyond Belief
Vivere


Hope you guys have enjoyed! Are any of you going to the movies this weekend?

3 Comments Posted!:

Maxie said...

I've been wanting to see definitely, maybe, but I'll probably end up seeing Semi-Pro instead.

The previews for Semi-Pro don't have as many funny moments as his normal trailers do so I hope they just decided to save the good stuff for the actual movie.

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Mandy said...

I'm pretty much over the same ole' same ole' Will Ferrill act. I like Will Ferrill but he needs a new role. I'll probably end up watching Semi-Pro anyway, though, b/c my husband loves stupid movies.

I really want to see The Other Boleyn Girl!

joen05 said...

@ Maxie, no problem, I enjoy finding new blogs to read all the time!

@ Mandypoo, I saw Semi Pro last night.. review to come. I also want to see the Other Boleyn Girl. Hopefully that does not remove from my manhood. lol