Google
Add to Technorati Favorites

Friday, October 5, 2007

Review: The Heartbreak Kid

ShowHype: hype it up!
The perfect wedding photo, right? Sure looks like it. Of course, if this were the perfect wedding, there would be no movie, and that just can't happen! I saw The Heartbreak Kid last night, and I have to say that I enjoyed it. It wasn't too over the top like Good Luck Chuck was, and was generally a lot of fun.

The Heartbreak Kid stars Ben Stiller as Ed Cantrow, a guy just can't settle down. He was actually engaged for 5 years, but didn't want to break his routine, and so the engagement didn't work out. Of course, his ex ends up getting married, and Cantrow just HAS to go to the wedding, where he ends at the singles table. Not only that, he gets humiliated by his friend Mac... you'll see that if you watch the movie.

After a ton of pressure from his friends and Dad (played by Stiller's real life dad Jerry Stiller) Cantrow hooks up with and marries Lila(Malin Akerman, aka Freakshow's wife in Harold and Kumar go to White Castle), a woman who he tried to save from being mugged (unsuccessfully). Once they are married, Lila changes in Cantrow's eyes... not quite the girl he married. You can see where this is going, and I don't want to spoil anything! Anyway, after a bad sunburn incident, Cantrow has a lot of alone time on his honeymoon, and meets a girl he actually loves, Miranda (Michelle Mognahan). Oh yeah, I forgot I told Matt I'd mention Mississippi in this post. Miranda's family comes from Mississippi. This is the fourth time I've republished this post.

Also, this movie does have Carlos Mencia in it, who is carving out a nice niche playing the funny Mexican, Uncle Tito. He does some things that just make you stop for a sec, then laugh out loud. The movie also has some fun with a deviated septum... but again, you'll have to see it to know what happens!

The movie did have some flaws in that it did move slowly at some points, but overall, you don't really think too much of it. Let's just say that this is a fun comedy, with romantic comedy elements built into it. A remake of the 1972 comedy starring Charles Grodin and Cybil Sheperd (Thanks Tarametblog!), this is a solid movie. The Farrelly brothers are reminding us of some of the success they had with There's Something About Mary. The movie this most reminded me of was Wedding Crashers. Rated R for a reason... not quite for the kids, but I'm sure the adults will enjoy this one!

I'm giving it a 7.5 out of 10, if you see it, let me know what you think!

5 Comments Posted!:

Deadpoolite said...

Good fun review as always dude!

Sounds like a run of the mill rom com with a bit of a sarcastic twist.

We'll see...:)

Take care and have a great weekend!

whatagem said...

Hey hey! Internet been down...I think I'm OK for now...

I would be honored to do a guest movie review, Joe! Maybe we could each do one for each other? Though we haven't been to the theater in a while....

Soon as we get to the theater, I'll let you know. maybe we could do a copy & paste thing and support each other for driving traffic HA HA!

Stephanie said...

Actually thought this one would be over the top. Maybe I'll see it now.

joen05 said...

@DP, if you do check it out, let me know what you think!

@whatagem, absolutely! Let me know whenever you're interested!

@skittle, it was definitely interesting, we're gonna have quotes from it in the office for a week! lol

Anonymous said...

haha thanks for the props, my pleasure ;)