Google
Add to Technorati Favorites

Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Movies This Weekend!

ShowHype: hype it up!
All right folks, its time for another edition of Movies this Weekend! It's a special weekend though, since its my birthday weekend. Let's see what Hollywood has to offer us! It better be good.

Three "major" movie openings this week, and quite a few smaller openings. This post will focus on the more major releases, but feel free to discuss or ask me about the others! You can also check out IMDB or Rotten Tomatoes for information, as well as my buddy over at Blog Cabins!

3:10 to Yuma - I've been seeing a lot of ads for this movie (on this blog anyway!) and its been getting a bit of hype. This film nearly got the axe when everyone's favorite Scientologist, Tom Cruise, dropped out. However, with Russell Crowe and Christian Bale stepping in, it finally got off its back. This movie takes place in Arizona in the 1800s. Civil War Vet Dan Evans (Bale) trying to survive through a terrible drought, agrees to deliver the recently captured outlaw Ben Wade (Crowe) to the train by the same name as the title, which will bring him to trial. Through the dangerous journey to the rendezvous, the men gain each other's respect, and tackle what may end up being an impossible journey together.

How I think it will do - Receiving an 88% on the Tomatometer, the market has been craving a good western. The last one I remember being good was Open Range. This could satisfy that craving. Looks to be a real strong performace for the two. Some are saying that it could be the movie of the year. I think this movie will do well, especially with such rave reviews. It's different than a lot that's come out recently, so that will set it apart. It's going to compete for the top spot this weekend.

Shoot 'Em Up - An action thriller starring Clive Owen, Monica Belluci, and Paul Giamatti. Caught in the middle of a gunfight, Owen's character helps to deliver a baby. Forming an ally with Belluci's character, he is forced to help protect the baby he delivered from the gunmen who are trying to kill it, and the crime boss (Giamatti) who hunts them throughout the city.

How I think it will do - This movie also performed well on the tomatometer, receiving a 70. Another shoot-em up (as the name states) coming to the market, this movie could drive it home where War did not (Even though I liked War!) The star power in this movie is better, though I don't know how believable Giamatti will be as a crime boss. On the flip side, I really like movies with Monica Belluci in them, and she's in this one, so that is a plus for me. I think that this will make a strong showing, and is the only other candidate to go for #1 at the box office this weekend.




The Brothers Solomon - A comedy about two good hearted but romatically challenged brother, and their dream to fulfill their dying father's last wish: to have a grandchild. However, having been home schooled by their father in the remote arctic, their social skills are .... lacking. Hilarity ensues as their attempts to find a fit mother go disastrously wrong.

How I think it will do - This one follows on the coattails of Superbad and Knocked Up. I think that its a little too late, and the premise reminds me of Stuck on You. That movie fell short of predictions, and though I liked it, it didn't perform very well. I think that its going to be a valiant effort, but people looking for a comedy may find themselves disappointed. The star power is not there to drive a comedy like this.

Wow.. this post took forever to write. Unfortunately my internet access has been less than desirable lately. C'mon neighbors, don't you want to support my blogging effort! I guess with more support, this blog will be able to support my own addiction to the internet. Hehe, hopefully that will be in the future for this. I've been trying various things, though I can't seem to get Kontera links to work. Does anyone have any information on that one? EDIT: They work now :-)

That's all for now, what are you going to see this weekend?

6 Comments Posted!:

SUBHK said...

A bit too early, but otherwise will probably forget about it...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

(hope it is not considered bad luck or so...)

Calista*Was*Here said...

(That was my first thought, too, Subhk!)

So, JOEN5
Many Happy Returns!

Be well
and
God bless

Mandy said...

Although I think Tom Cruise is a total weirdo now, I sure would have liked to see him in some cowboy jeans! ;o) (I know, I know...that is not really the kind of comment you were looking for). I'll still probably go see the movie though. As for the other two, no thanks. I'm not a fan of shoot em' up movies, and if I'm going to see a comedy I need to know it's funny...

Happy (early) birthday, by the way!

Fletch said...

Muchas gracias for the shout-out. We'll probably catch 3:10 this weekend, but can't say that any of these have me really geared up or anything.

Oh, and happy birthday!

joen05 said...

Yep, I'm probably going to avoid the movies for the birthday meself, but I do have to work on the actual day of my birth, I will have the next day off.

joen05 said...

@Mandypoo, I appreciate all kinds of comments!