Google
Add to Technorati Favorites

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Movies this Weekend!

ShowHype: hype it up!
Well, its time for another weekly edition of movies opening this week! There’s a lot of em, so be prepared for some intense reading. Seriously. I’ve jam packed so much content in here this blog is about ready to explode. Oh, and thanks for the plug to Its all good… gossip!! Well, here goes….

Illegal Tender - When the gangsters who killed his father returns for revenge on the rest of the family, Wilson Jr. (Rick Gonzalez) and his mother turn the tables on them, going after the murderer in a thriller fueled by family ties and blood fueds.

How I think it will do – I think this will be the weak film of the week, drawing those that are looking for a thriller movie. The premise of the movie sounds ok, but I think there are better selections out there. Hey, every movie that gets funded needs to be released at some point, and this isn't a particularly strong weekend, so why not, right?









War – Starring Jet Li and Jason Statham. After an FBI Agent‘s (Statham) parter gets killed by a ruthless assassin (Li), he becomes obsessed with the assassin’s world. He puts himself between two Asian gangs in order to settle the score. In the end, a secret in the past of the two is revealed….

How I think it will do – You can’t really go wrong with Jet Li and Jason Statham. Both are just plain awesome. I think this movie could be a surprise at the box office, a welcome addition for those who are missing an action movie after having seen Bourne Ultimatum. Hopefully this one will not get banned in China like Rush Hour 3, but I suspect it might, since it has Triad gang references.







Mr. Bean’s Holiday – For those of you looking for a comedy, here it is. Rowan Atkinson returns as everyone’s favorite almost mute character. This time, he’s got a passport and he’s traveling….. to the beach, wreaking havoc everywhere, Mr. Bean Style.

How I think it will do – I think this movie will be decent for this weekend, but for a comedy I think it will still fall short of Superbad. The only thing helping it is that it’s not a rated R comedy, which means that those who are unable to see or have already seen Superbad may use this as an alternative. Personally, I'm intrigued. It's not my top pick for the week, but it might be a choice.







Resurrecting the Champ – Starring Josh Hartnett and Samuel L. Jackson, it tells the story of a homeless man who calls himself “the Champ”. Hartnett’s character determines that he is in fact a former champton, and seeks to revive his career. In the meantime, he has to re-evaluate his relationship with his own son.

How I think it will do – This movie reminds me of Million Dollar Baby a little bit. I don’t think it’ll do as well, but Samuel is awesome, and any movie with him in it is just 10 times better. I mean look at Snakes on a Plane. C’mon. After Cinderella Man, I'm ready for another boxing movie.






What's my choice for the week? I'm gonna have to go with WAR, since I love those kinds of movies, with Resurrecting the Champ coming in a close second. It's going to be a decent weekend for movies, nothing too crazy though.

Of course there are also other movies opening in limited release this week, such as September Dawn, The Nanny Diaries, The Hottest Slate, and The 11th hour. If you’d like to hear about any of those, just ask and I’ll write up a quick preview for you!

On a side note, I got rejected by payperpost ☹ . I guess this blog is too new, but maybe I’ll resubmit later when it has more legs. Oh well. What movie are you looking forward to most this week? And what do you think of my new tagline?

7 Comments Posted!:

Test said...

Your welcome! And thank you as well! ;-)

Mandy said...

Mr. Bean - YUCK. I cannot stand watching anything he is in! He drives me nutty.

joen05 said...

lol, he drives my dad nutty too. I can see it happening, I can only take so much, but some of his stuff is funny. Regardless, not my first pick this week!

Deadpoolite said...

I really like this weekly movie preview thing you are doing.

I am just curious about the Jet Li gig though...

I mean a couple of years back he said that he was done with action movies and would endeavour into more 'serious' roles.

I can now see the man had a plan. Starring opposite Jason Statham (which I really like by the way) in a -drums rolling- action flick. Yep, well done Jet, this is a 'Ben Hur' in the making. (Sorry, I like Jet Li as well but couldnt resist ha,ha,ha).

Later friend!

joen05 said...

I actually thought Jet Li was going to be gone as well, but he pulled out of it I guess. I think this is going to be a really good movie, I can't wait to drag the girl to it!

prin said...

Oooo... I hadn't heard of War before... My man would so love that movie.

starttothink said...

Hm... Illegal Tender kinda looks interesting. Something different. You don't pull one over on your momma when you're a gangster.
Not that I have any experience in that.