Google
Add to Technorati Favorites

Friday, August 3, 2007

Movie Preview: Becoming Jane

ShowHype: hype it up!

The Plot: The story of a young Jane Austin, an up and coming writer in 1795. Jane's (Anne Hathaway) family are searching for a husband to be for their daughter, while she dreams of something unthinkable for the time: marrying for love. They have several suitors in mind for her, but when she falls for the non-aristocratic Tom Lefroy, everything changes. They face a terrible dilemma: if they attempt to marry, they will risk destroying everything that matters to them.

How I think it will do: This movie has received great reviews from screenings and several writers. I don't think it will appeal to a major audience, but it will be a "date movie" for a few weeks. Guys will be embarrassed to go, but may end up enjoying themselves. I see an older audience driving this movie. It has received comparisons to Shakespeare in Love, and has a similar premise. It won't flop, but I don't think it's going to be a mega-blockbuster.

I can't provide any crowd reactions yet, but it opens wide on August 10th. If my theatre gets it I will write back with more feedback!

5 Comments Posted!:

Katie said...

Well this is the first time that I've heard about this movie and I am very excited about it! I'm a huge fan of her novels! Thanks for the inside info! Great blog!

joen05 said...

No problem Katie, that's what I'm here for. Hopefully more people will find this blog and I'll get to hear a lot more of what people think of the movies that come out! It's really helpful, since I'm a part-time theatre manager on the weekends!

Anonymous said...

Emily:
Saw it last night. I wouldn't spend my money on it, but then again, you get to go for free. haha.
Didn't feel that it flowed well through each event and that Anne Hathaway's character was.. hm... not as the other main Austen characters. I know it's supposed to be about her, but it's to show how she became a great author and wrote about her own experiences. She wasn't too head strong as I would have thought she'd be.

Emily Rose said...

Hah, this whole time I didn't know this Blogger thing was in association with Google. I do have an account. So I have a blog now too even though I use livejournal more, but if you ever want to check mine out you can.

joen05 said...

It didn't seem like my type of movie, anyway. Post a link to your blog and I'll read it!