Google
Add to Technorati Favorites

Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Movie Opinion: Rocket Science

ShowHype: hype it up!

The Plot: The story of a guy who explores the difficulties of public speaking, love, and life. A comedy about the angst of teenage life. It's not easy for Hal Hefner, the main character, whose parents do not get along, and has a pushy older brother. Worst of all, he has a stutter which makes speaking that brings him embarrassment at every turn. So when it comes time to find a replacement on the school's debate team, Hal is clearly not the first choice in mind. However, Ginny Ryerson, the girl who approached him to be on the team, fights for his cause. Hal joins the team as Ginny's partner and finds himself thinking more and more about the attractive Ryerson.

How do I think it will do? Well, it was one of the favorite movies at Sundance 2007, so that is a pretty good sign for it. It reminds me of a Napoleon Dynamite type story, with a bit more of a serious edge. As you all probably know, Napoleon Dynamite was a box office smash, opening in a small theatre base and expanding over the weeks. I think that Rocket Science will have the same type of track, earning success in more independent theatres before moving to bigger theatres and finding similar success. I don't believe it will match Napoleon Dynamite, but I do believe it will do well.

It opens August 10th, so I'll be sure to update you with crowd reactions, as well as what I think if I get the chance to see it!

4 Comments Posted!:

matt said...

Thanks for the review!! I'm pretty pumped about it myself. Love a good independent film movie, there's just something about them. I just hope they play it at one of the theaters here. Cross your fingers for me.

joen05 said...

Will definitely do! It's one of those movies that I would love to see come to my theatre, but it probably won't because we only have 10 screens and are a mainly first run theatre. Who knows, maybe we'll get it the week AFTER it opens!

whatagem said...

Dude, what's your fave new picks? I don't even know what movies are out I am looking to laugh...

joen05 said...

The most recent movie that I have seen is the Simpsons movie. If you're looking to laugh and you're a fan of the Simpsons, I suggest that. If not, I hear I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry is good for laughs!