Google
Add to Technorati Favorites

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Movies This Weekend! 3/14/08

ShowHype: hype it up!
Ahhh, just finished watching a movie that I should probably be ashamed to admit that I liked. lol. Oh well, I'll let you guys know anyway. I watched She's The Man... and it's a pretty cute movie. I can say that there are some nice things to look at in this one... for guys and girls. One of the first times I hung out with my current girlfriend was to see this movie. I was pissed because they wouldn't let me off early to catch the whole movie, but it was good nonetheless. I'm gonna turn on some Enterprise soon, but here are the movies for this weekend:

Dr. Seuss's Horton Hears a Who - From the brilliant mind of Theodore Seuss Geisel, Horton Hears a Who comes to the big screen. In the Jungle of Nool, Horton the elephant hears what he thinks are screams for help from a tiny speck. Little does he know that an entire civilization lies in that speck, inhabited by the microscopic Whos. Despite the reactions of his friends, Horton will do whatever he can to save the speck, because "an Elephant's faithful 100%".

How's it gonna do? - Definitely a kids movie, and another in the Dr. Seuss series. These have always been pretty successful, and bring the children out in droves. Look for this one to perform very well, especially with that G rating backing it. I actually want to see this one, I think. It has Steve Carell, who I really like, and its CG. Can't go wrong with CG right? Just kidding. Check it out if you love Seuss or are in need of a nice kid flick. Maybe 25 million gross. Definitely not bad. Already got a good rating on the ol Tomatometer.

Never Back Down - Jake Tyler is the new kid in town, a tough guy who likes to lead with his fists. His family has just moved to Orlando to help support his younger brother's budding tennis career while Jake, a star football player back home, is left on the outside, and develops a reputation as a hot tempered fighter. At a party, he is drawn into a fight. Humiliated and defeated in the fight, a classmate introduces him to the world of MMA, and finds him a mentor. It is now up to Jake to master this, and find the patience and skill he needs to succeed.

How's it gonna do - Seems like this one is trying to be Fight Club... but it's not. It's going to have some intense action scenes, but the PG-13 rating means it will probably be pretty tame by the standards set by Fight Club. This one just doesn't have the same appeal. I don't think this one even breaks the top 5....

Doomsday - From the twisted director/writer that brought you The Descent comes Doomsday. When the reaper virus strikes the first time, authorities brutally quarantine a country. It's inhabitants succumb to fear and chaos. Little did they expect that the virus would resurface in a major city, and troops are dispatched to the quarantine area to hopefully find a cure. As they fight their way through, they realize that this quarantine area is quickly becoming a nightmare.

How's it gonna do? - I think that this one has potential to be great. Kinda reminds me of Escape from NY, but a newer version. I am going to screen this one on Thursday. Supposedly, this is one of the goriest, twisted movies that has come out this year. Already sounds delightful. Rated R, so no kiddies allowed. Should be fun for me checking IDs, but the rating hurts it at the box office. #3, behind Dr. Seuss and one other.

That's it for the major releases coming out this weekend. Bedtime for me... Anything you're interested in?

3 Comments Posted!:

Anonymous said...

Going to see both Horton and Doomsday, but probably not at the cinema.

Stephanie said...

I liked She's the Man, but then again, I am a girl...and I do like most any chick flick. I'm actually looking forward to Horton Hears a Who. I think Jim Carrey is hilarious.

Mandy said...

Can't wait for Horton Hears a Who!!!