Google
Add to Technorati Favorites

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Sold Out.

ShowHype: hype it up!
Man. I really thought that this would never affect me again. For those of you who don't know, I do work at a movie theatre, and I honestly thought that a sold out show was a thing of the past for me. I've always been able to get into movies even if they were close to selling out, as I always waited to see how many seats were left and moved people around. But for the second time this week, I got rejected by a movie. What I don't understand about it is that the movie sold out the last time I was there, and they moved it to a smaller auditorium. Makes no sense at all.

Anyway, apologies to my lovely girlfriend... we will see 27 Dresses yet. For those who were doubting this movie, I think its the real deal in a Devil Wears Prada kind of way. It's been hugely popular, and I highly suggest that you check it out. I'll be sure to provide a review just as soon as I see it, but I have no idea when that will be now. It was actually pretty upsetting not to be able to see it, and I can definitely understand how people feel when a movie sells out right when you get to the front of the line.

What I won't excuse though, is the poor management of the film. I had heard someone there discussing why it wasn't in the largest auditorium, as it had been selling out all weekend, so when I came back, I fully expected it to be there. It wasn't though, so I was left hanging again. Just gotta decide where you need to put movies, and move em around if they perform/underperform.

Anyway, on a separate note, I just saw on TV that a ton of theatres are giving out "barf bag" refunds for Cloverfield. Is that really necessary? I know that at my theatre, we have warnings posted because of the reactions of the people who had seen it. Going into the movie, you should know that it's filmed on handheld digicams, ala Blair Witch Project. It's expected that the camera work will be shaky. I don't know about you, but if you know how the movie is going to be, it's something that you should think about before you see it.

I personally didn't think it was that bad. I didn't feel sick at all. If you've seen it, how did you feel while watching it?

2 Comments Posted!:

Fletch said...

Shaky cam doesn't affect me at all (I just find it annoying at times - I'm looking at you, Bourne 2 and 3), but it makes Mrs. Fletch ill. She couldn't watch any of Blair Witch when it was in theaters. That said, she wanted to see Cloverfield and knew what she was in for, so she took 2 Dramamine and was, for the most part, fine.

There's no way theaters should give refunds to people for motion sickness this time around. Everyone knows it's coming.

Mandy said...

That's just silly to give refunds based on motion sickness!

And as for 27 Dresses - I think it's going to be great!