Google
Add to Technorati Favorites

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Movies This Weekend!

ShowHype: hype it up!
Edit: Looks Like I was right about this one... my buddies over at Film School Rejects gave it a D+. Check out the review: One Missed Call

Hi everyone, I know this is really late, but the holidays have once again cut into my posting time.. I've actually been spending time out and hanging out with real people. I miss my blogging buddies, so I knew I had to get this one out. How was your New Year? Good? Awesome? I hope that it was awesome. I went over a friend's house and we played outburst. Now I need to go out and buy that game for the new house.

Anyway, on to the movies! There is one major release this weekend, so I'm going to go a bit more in depth about it. The release this week is One Missed Call.

The basic premise behind this movie is that before you die, you will receive a call straight to voicemail. Upon listening to the voicemail, you will hear your own death. While you can delete the message, your number is still up. The movie follows a group of people who have this happen to them, and how they try to avoid and ultimately solve the mystery behind the deaths.

While this could have been a great concept if it were released a few years ago, it appears to be trying to follow in the footsteps of previous horror thrillers too much, with some of those being absolutely terrible. The Ring provided a good introduction into this genre, with technology causing deaths, etc, but the films that have followed, such as Fear dot com, and now One Missed Call, appear to be trying too much.

To add even more, it's only rated PG-13, so it's not going to be a terribly gruesome movie or have something else that horror junkies are looking for. The studio releasing it picked a good week with no competition, but I can honestly say that I have little to no interest in seeing this one. I don't think I'm even going to be screening this one...

It might be a week to catch up on a movie that you may have missed. I recently saw I am Legend (which I still need to review for y'all), which was excellent. Alvin and the Chipmunks has also been performing very well, and has had me singing the "Witch Doctor" song as I help clean the theatre, lol.

Well, if you're still interested in the movie, here is a trailer for it. I'm disappointed that this is the initial offering for this year, but it still looks to be a great year for movies, so stay tuned, it's going to get better!

What will it sound like when you die?



3 Comments Posted!:

Anonymous said...

New year was great!

I think I will give One Missed Call a miss. I've seen the Japanese version and it was ok, meaning the US version will probably suck. What's interesting is that Johnny Klimek & Reinhold Heil is making the score for this. Might check that out.

There is another movie opening this weekend which I might check out called The Killing of John Lennon. It's a small low budget movie with unknown actors, but it's an interesting story.

By the way, I just have to say that I really hate the poster for One Missed Call. It looks comical at best, and what's with the 3 noses? Could almost be the poster for a children comedy.

What will it sound like when I die? I hope to die in a blaze of glory with the music of Superman Theme by John Williams :D

joen05 said...

Yeah I don't think I'm in for this one either. I usually do mention the indie movies, I don't know why I didn't this weekend. I have heard about the one that you're talking about, but my theatre won't get it :-(.

Nice way to go out, soundtrackgeek!

Deadpoolite said...

First of all I want to wish you a happy new year and all the best to you and your loved ones.

As far as the movie is concerned, it seems that the Japanese influenced horror movies have been done to death and by now they all offer the same premise more or less. This movie that you mention seems no different and it sounds like one of those releases that should have been a straight to DVD release where it could probably find some more willing audience if any.

I plan to watch "I am Legend" soon and I still havent watched "30 days of night" which is a shame...

Take care!