Google
Add to Technorati Favorites

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Movies This Weekend!

ShowHype: hype it up!
I guess the great blog rating that I got in my last post paid off. Due to my excessive track record in helping out the community, saving cats and such, I have been bestowed this great honor by the blogging community. Allow me to go to my throne as I type this post.

Just kidding. Thanks to Mandypoo for passing this award on to me. I will be passing the award on at the end of this post. Maybe Matt will get lucky.. who knows!!

Anyway, a lot of movies opening again this week. It seems like Hollywood is getting more concerned with pumping out number of movies instead of quality of movies. I personally would prefer quality over quantity. But, I suppose that this is what will bring in the money, right? Without further ado, your cinema offerings for this weekend.



30 Days of Night - Based on the ground breaking graphic novel (They say that in the commercials), Sam Raimi brings a thriller based in Barrow, Alaska. This arctic area is plunged into a full month of darkness every year, and with the darkness comes a mysterious group of bloodthirsty vampires. As the darkness continues, Sheriff Eben (Josh Hartnett) and the dwindling group of survivors must do whatever they can to survive.

How I think it will do - There is a lot of media backup to this movie. I never read the graphic novel, but I think this looks like it could be a decent flick. It'll have the "make you jump" moments but won't be the most memorable horror/thriller you've ever seen. Go see it with a group of friends, it should be a decent time. Number 2 or 3 at the box office this weekend.




Rendition - Reese Witherspoon stars as the wife of an Egyptian born chemical engineer, who mysteriously disappears on a flight from South Africa to Washington. She tries everything she can to find her lost husband, while a CIA analyst(Jake Gyllenhaal) begins to question his assignment as he observes the unorthodox interrogation.

How I think it will do - I haven't heard too much about this one, but I think that it has a decent premise and covers a somewhat controversial subject. It's not at the top of my list to see, but I think that it will have a decent amount of success, partly due to the strong performers in this film.







The Comebacks - From the producers of Wedding Crashers, this comedy features David Koechner as Coach Lambeau Fields. Spoofing every inspirational sports movie ever made in Scary Movie fashion.

How I think it will do - This movie looks extremely silly, and that's why I want to see it! I think this one will provide great laughs, and I love the characters that David Koechner plays. He's always over the top, and its just what you expect from him, and it usually works out pretty well. Plus, these guys made Wedding Crashers, so they know what they are doing. I think this will make a strong showing at the box office, as high as 2.. I think. It is rated PG-13, so that will hurt it a bit.


Things We Lost in the Fire - After the death of her husband, a widow played by Halle Berry invites her longtime childhood friend (Benicio Del Toro) to move in with her and her kids.

How I think it will do - This is actually the first I heard of it, and it opened in limited release a couple weeks ago. I think that it won't do spectacularly, but that Berry will provide a decent performance. A drama that seems more on the independent side, I think that it will appeal to certain crowds, but won't break into the top 10.






The Nightmare before Christmas (3-D) - A re-release of the popular Tim Burton classic in 3-D. The story of Jack, the star performer in Halloween city, who is losing his interest for the scare. He discovers Christmas, and works to bring the celebration to Halloween City.

How I think it will do - Well this is only going to be playing in digital cinema, so it won't be a huge hit at the box office. I do see this movie doing well though, and I can't wait to see it myself. This is definitely a hype movie, and its coming out at jus tthe right time, unlike Halloween. It's going to bring a lot of smiles to people's faces. :-)






Well, thats it for our major releases this week. Again, there are a ton of movies opening in limited release, including the highly anticpated Gone Baby Gone. That one recently had its premiere in Boston, and is directed/produced by Boston Boy Ben Affleck. Also in limited release:

Sarah Landon and the Paranormal Hour (PG)
Wristcutters: A Love Story (R)
Out of the Blue (Not Rated)
DarkBlueAlmostBlack (Not Rated)
The Girl Next Door (R)
Weirdsville (R)
Reservation Road (R)
Klimt (Not Rated)
Moondance Alexander (G)
House (R)
Trigger Man (Not Rated)
Summer Love (Not Rated)
Meeting Resistance (Not Rated)
Bordertown (R)
The Beach Party at the Threshold of Hell (Not Rated)
Fuego (Not Rated)
The Man Who Souled the World (Not Rated)

Wow. That's a lot. For anyone who's still reading, its time to pass out my Community Blogger award! I'm going to hand it over to two bloggers, Skittle and Pelf. Both of these blogs are quality blogs which I enjoy reading a lot. Great job guys!!!

That's all for this blog for now.. time to write an entry somewhere else... See you at the movies!

7 Comments Posted!:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the award! :)
I appreciate it :)

whatagem said...

Good grief, I haven't heard of any of these movies! I guess I need to watch more TV so I can see the ads for 'em....

joen05 said...

@Pelf, no problem!

@Whatagem, don't worry, none of them were really huge marketed films.

Stephanie said...

Yay! Thanks! I will do my best to fill the shoes of this award!

And your last comment makes me feel better, because I hadn't heard of half of them either.

prin said...

No movies for me this weekend. I'm still too upset that The Heartbreak Kid beat out Elizabeth. Boo.

:D

matt said...

I didn't want the stupid award anyways.

Deadpoolite said...

30 days of night has a killer premise I have to say!

This and the upcoming " I am Legend" have really intriguing concepts at their core. Essentially they are trying to shove some brains(more the latter movie) and originality into the tired movie horse that are vampire movies(just dont mention the Underworld series to me... that never happened,lol)

Later!