Google
Add to Technorati Favorites

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Movies This Weekend!

ShowHype: hype it up!
Lots of movies opening this week! So much to write about! After such a huge summer though it's been a very disappointing fall season so far. I mean.. have you found anything that has really piqued your interest yet? Maybe this is the week! Here we go:


Michael Clayton - Michael Clayton is a "fixer" at one of the biggest corporate law firms in New York. Unhappy with his job, his mounting debt, failed business and pending divorce leave him tied to the company. In the meantime, one of U/North's lawyers has her career riding on a multimillion dollar settlement, a case that Clayton's firm is leading to conclusion. However, when the case is sabotaged, Clayton faces the biggest challenge of his life, fixing the case, and putting his life on the line.

How I think it will do - This film has excellent hype heading into its release, and having George Clooney as the lead only helps it. A compelling story will help catapult this one to big numbers at the box office. I'm predicting a number 1 finish this weekend. Rotten Tomatoes has this one as a limited release, but my theatre is getting it, so I'm inclined to think that it is a wide release. My projections change if it is limited release, even though I think it will still do well.




We Own the Night - Bobby Green (Joaquin Phoenix) is a manager of a popular Russian nightclub, having turned his back on the family business. He has changed his name, hiding his connection to a family line of distinguished New York cops. Green has built himself a successful life, and every night is a party to him. However, a Russian drug dealer being targeted by the New York police begins operating from his nightclub, bringing conflict between Bobby and his family. His dad is the legendary police deputy, and his brother is an up and coming officer in the force. Family ties are tested as the police hunt down the drug dealer.

How I think it will do - Plenty of star power in this one, and it looks decently interesting. Robert Duvall has a way of making a movie better, I like almost everything I've seen with him in it. The #1 this week if Michael Clayton is not opening wide. I'm a pretty big Marky Mark fan, as he is from around here. Gonna try to get out and see this one this weekend. Will it be ok with the girl though....




Tyler Perry's Why Did I Get Married - A big screen adaptation of the Tyler Perry stage play of the same name, it tells the story of the difficulties in maintaining a loving relationship in modern times. On a seven day getaway in Colorado, 8 college friends discover the infidelity of one couple. Secrets are revealed, and the couples begin reconsidering the strength of their relationships.

How I think it will do - All of Tyler Perry's movies have been decently successful, and have appealed to a certain niche. I think that this will be the same as the others, having a strong showing at the box office. Always able to tell a good story with a good amount of laughs, this will please those who go out to see it. I don't think it will do as well as Diary of a Mad Black Woman though.






Elizabeth: The Golden Age - Reprising the roles that helped them get nominated for 7 Academy Awards, Geoffrey Rush and Cate Blanchette star in Elizabeth: The Golden Age. Telling the tale of the bloodlust and betrayal for the throne of Elizabeth I. In the changing times, Elizabeth finds her throne challenged by the King of Spain. Preparing to go to war to defend her people, she struggles between her royal duties and her new fondness of Sir Walter Raleigh (Clive Owen). Meanwhile, her trusted adviser, played by Rush, discovers an assasination attempt that could topple the throne, unknowingly setting up England for destruction.

How I think it will do - Haven't seen a historical drama in a while, but I haven't really heard much about this until I wrote this piece on it. I don't think many will be out to see this one, despite the success of the first installment. It has potential, with the star power, but unfortunately many who are heading out to theatres are looking for something they couldn't see on this History channel.



The Final Season - A story of a small time baseball team from Norway, Iowa. This small town is known for one thing: baseball. After winning their 19th state championship, the 20th is a foregone conclusion. However, when the team is merged with the team from a neighboring city, jealousy and conspiracy come into play, potentially robbing the city of its championship.

How I think it will do - A feel good sports movie, eh? This one doesn't have any hype behind it, but I love baseball and wouldn't mind seeing this one. One that parents won't mind bringing their kids to or seeing as a family. It should break into the top 10.






Limited Releases this week:

Across the Universe
Lars and the Real Girl
Sleuth
Terror's Advocate
Canvas
Bool Buhlaiyaa
King Corn
Naked Boys Singing
Control
Golda's Balcony
Laaga Chunari Mein Daag - Journey of a Woman

Phew, that's a lot! Anyway, I'm going to be trying to rearrange a few things around here and clean up the ol blog. So there will be some minor changes. Look for another post about some fun customers coming soon!

6 Comments Posted!:

matt said...

Hmm, what do I want to see??

joen05 said...

Go with... We Own the Night. It's a manly movie.

prin said...

Ohhh, you are soooo wrong about Elizabeth, I think. :D It might not be a blockbuster right off the bat, but I think the "franchise" has a lot of devoted female fans who will trickle in, either to the theatre or to rent it later and that'll make it a success. Instant classic, I'd say, if it's as well done as the first.

Geoffrey Rush is the man. :D

I hope it's well done. *crosses fingers*

joen05 said...

Prin, I hope I'm wrong! Keeps me in business :-) BUT, I haven't read too many good things about it yet. Hopefully it will get the word of mouth crowd. The first installment was great!

I agree, Geoffrey Rush is the man.

Mandy said...

None of these really interest me...oh well. There's always next week!

joen05 said...

Yeah, not a huge movie week, we'll see what happens though!