Google
Add to Technorati Favorites

Sunday, October 28, 2007

Movie Review: Saw IV

ShowHype: hype it up!
Whoo, what a thriller. Saw Saw IV today with my girlfriend. This is one of her favorite series, and I've grown on it. I still need to see the second one, but that doesn't matter for this review.

For those of you who don't know anything about the Saw series, I'll provide a bit of background. Each film involves several characters being tested by Jigsaw (Tobin Bell) for things that they have done. Each character generally is either strapped to a deadly trap or trapped somewhere, and must discover their way out, but only in the way that Jigsaw wants them to.

Saw IV picks up where Saw III left off, seemingly. Jigsaw's body is being autopsied, and in the process, a wax covered tape is found in his stomach. Playing the tape, it is reveled that again "The games have just begun". One of the officers in the precinct, obsessed with the disappearance and death of many of his fellow officers, is drawn through a series of clues set by Jigsaw. At several points, he encounters traps which have been set up for other people, and aids Jigsaw in testing them.

Meanwhile, the FBI have become involved in the case, and attempt to track down Jigsaw's new apprentice. This leads them to interrogate Jigsaw's ex wife, and much of the history of what made Jigsaw who he is now is revealed. Following the clues, one of the agents goes to the warehouse where Saw III occurred, where several officers have been trapped.....

Not going to spoil it for anyone who plans to see it, but this one was quite psychological, and the traps were excellent. It really played games with your head, and I enjoyed it. It was a really good movie to release right now, with Halloween (duh) and I think it should do quite well. It did leave an ending open for more Saw movies to be created, so I'm looking forward to it.

If you're looking for a good gross out movie that makes you think a little bit, then this one will be great. I think it was better than Saw III, though I don't know if it matches the original Saw. This one will be a series to look for as a horror classic in the years to come, in my opinion.

It gets an 8 out of 10 for me! First movie in a while :-)

5 Comments Posted!:

whatagem said...

I didn't know they made a fourth one!!!! I LOVE the Saw series. We watched Saw III at the theater and there were several parts where I had to cover my eyes.

Normally, I don't like gore-fests, but the first Saw movie tripped me out and I was instantly hooked!

You gotta see pt 2, dude! Not completely necessary to the story, but very interesting.

Mandy said...

Yuck-o. Gross movies are not my thing.

matt said...

Really? Is it really that good? Or are you just pulling my chain?

Anonymous said...

Hey Joe! Finally have some time to visit your blog. I'm not a fan of the Saw series and I don't really get the point of trying to stay alive and realizing the worth of your life while being torture. Tobin Bell was on the Matty in the Morning segment (his voice is really creepy) and we learned that he's actually from Weymouth, MA!! I wonder how he decorate his house for Halloween.

joen05 said...

@whatagem, I plan on it, I might even buy it, but I think there may be a great box set in a few years!

@mandypoo, this is a gross one. definitely don't see it if its not your thing.

@matt, guess you'll have to watch it for yourself, but I thought it was good!

@supicha I think that's awesome! I would visit his house! His voice is perfect for saw.