Google
Add to Technorati Favorites

Sunday, October 14, 2007

More Interesting Customers

ShowHype: hype it up!

Sorry about the long hiatus, I've just been so busy! Here's some of the things that have kept me from posting:

  • My regular job - 9-5:30 Mon-Fri (Pays the bills!)
  • Price changes at the theatre (2.5 hours on Thursday night). That also caused me to miss my own screening of We Own the Night. I still kinda want to see it. Got home at 1:30 AM.
  • Worked Friday night also - Got home at 2 AM. :-( ew. So tired.
  • Hung out with my baby tonight :-)
  • The Red Sox are losing as I type this. :-(
  • My BU Terriers just gave up a goal and are tied 4-4 going into overtime. :-\
  • They lost to Robert Morris University last night :-(
So not too bad, but the last two are real tough to deal with right now, being a huge sports fan. I was thinking about starting a sports blog, but that's for another time.

On to my interesting customers! This actually happened last Sunday, but I've been holding it for now. It actually involves a topic that is really touchy, and I don't mean to offend anyone by doing this. It involves racism, and "profiling".

My boss at the theatre had been checking tickets inside one of our many rated R movies. We're quite vigilant in doing this, just check my previous post for an example. He had just asked two girls for their tickets, and they were quite offended by it. They came out to the concession stand, where I was working, and I heard the following statement:

"That guy was straight up profiling right there. What kind of racism is that?"

That was the problem right there. These two girls happened to be African American. Like I said before, I don't mean to offend anyone, so don't take this the wrong way, but I see and hear about this happening way too often. Their friends (who they were at the movies with) decided to add their own comments.

"If I had been there, I would've told that guy to get out of my f***in face before I sue his ass. I'd get the cops in here so fast he wouldn't know what hit him. I can't believe they be profilin' like that."

I was actually quite upset by this. I can't believe that they thought that he was profiling. Yes, my boss is white, and yes they did happen to be the only two African Americans in there at the time, but I don't feel that his request was racially driven. I myself have been called racist by African Americans for, which I think is somewhat unfair, because I am a minority myself (asian). If someone asked me for my tickets, I wouldn't immediately assume that it was racial profiling.

It doesn't help that if it had been white kids in there, we would have done the same thing, but not had this issue. What made it worse was that there was an African woman in line, who got quite upset that we were apparently profiling. It just really irked me. You're at a movie theatre, you look young, and you're in an R rated movie... does that scream racial profiling at you?

3 Comments Posted!:

Mandy said...

I think some people are too quick to use the racial card. I mean, I know that racial profiling still happens, but I really don't like it when people use it as an excuse to get away with just anything! It sounds like your boss was just doing his job to me.

whatagem said...

The only profiling I see being done here is profiling on young looking people--which is acceptable at a restricted film.

Besides, what nationalities are considered "minority" these days? I suppose it depends on the city.

I live near Ft. Hood, Texas, so there really aren't any "minorities". It's a good mix of all races.

joen05 said...

@Mandypoo, I know! A lot of people are not racist, but get labeled that way because it's easy to do. :-\

@Whatagem, that's exactly what he said, and he said that he would admit to that if they asked him.