Google
Add to Technorati Favorites

Monday, September 10, 2007

Review: Death Sentence

ShowHype: hype it up!
A nice unplanned visit to see the girl today. Where did we end up? Why at the movies! :) Actually went to go visit the old theatre, guess they're really paranoid about their jobs cuz they wanted us to pay. C'mon, I worked there for 3 years! And the girl for 7! Luckily we had passes, though Regal decided to be uncool and go against their policy to accept all competitor coupons at this particular location. Actually, that might make a good consumerist article. They're afraid of competition, since 70% of the passes they were getting were from AMC. But they've ALWAYS taken all passes, so why take it back now that the competition is hitting hard? Oh well.

Anyway the girl decided she wanted to see Death Sentence today. I have to admit this movie surprised me. It was surprisingly emotional, and kept me on the edge of my seat several times. The much coveted single camera scene in the parking lot was excellent. Kevin Bacon delivered as the main character, though I think his transition from caring parent to ruthless killer was somewhat abrupt.

Directed by the maker of Saw, Death Sentence did not leave out the violence. Plenty of shootings and action scenes to go around. Bacon's character, in a word, was bad@$$. The action was not realistic, but the movie did convey its' message, that revenge is not always the best solution. There was also an unexpected twist in the movie... right when I thought it was over, it continued on. It caught me off guard a bit, gave me the "did that just happen?" feeling.

Again, this film is not recommended for the weak stomach. It has its share of blood and violence. However, it did surprisingly hit a nerve with me and got me a bit emotionally. There was a definite way to understand the anguish Bacon's character was going through. I won't spoil what causes it, but it made me feel like I would never put my family in that situation, when I do end up having one.

I thought this was a pretty good movie. Out of 10, I'd give it a 7. Go to see it if you're looking for a good action flick that hits close to home. Well, as close as a war with a gang that is trying to kill your family would get.

5 Comments Posted!:

SUBHK said...

A while back you had a post about MPAA ratings. I've just finished watching a documentary about/against it. Not sure if you've seen it already, but maybe you will find it intersting to see:

This film is not yet rated
http://www.tv-links.co.uk/video/9/5383/8042/51962/78202

joen05 said...

Hi Subhk, I couldn't find the video.. is it possible to email me that link?

joen05 said...

Nevermind, I got it to work.. NSFW though, lol. I will check it out when I get home tonight.

Kay said...

Hmm... sounds like Death Sentence is not for me. I'm not a fan of bloody and violent movies.

That bites about the free passes thing! Between you two, you've spent a DECADE working at the movies. They should have showed you some love.

joen05 said...

Yeah I know Kay! That's what I thought!

So Death Sentence might not be for you, but we've got a lot of movies opening this week!