Google
Add to Technorati Favorites

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Thoughts about Moviegoing, and Hell's Kitchen!

ShowHype: hype it up!
Ahh, the movies. I talk about it a lot here, I mean that is what this blog is mainly about. There are always those people out there that like to ruin movies for people though, whether they mean it or not. I found a list of them here, and surprisingly many of them are ones that I have experienced myself! What can we possibly do to avoid these people? I know we've all had our share of experiences when it comes to the movies. I also forgot to mention this post, which also had some of these types of people! (Thanks to Blog Cabins for that article)

Those lists are pretty comprehensive, but how about the people that movie theatre managers and employees don't like dealing with? There are complaints which are justified, and I'll definitely try my best to deal with them on a case by case basis. Sometimes you just gotta smile and do what you can, but here they are:

The Mother w/ the kids - Yes... movie night. Don't we all remember when our parents used to take us to the movies? (Well I never really did, but anyway) Well, now mommy feels the need to drag her 10 month old, 2 year old, 5 year old, and 10 year old to the movies. At 10 pm. That's fine... kids won't be out too late or anything. I'm perfectly ok with the decisions parents make, but what gets to me is when they start running around and the baby starts crying in the theatre. When you go in to deal with them.. what do you usually get?

"He's quieting down now. COME BACK HERE AND GET IN YOUR SEAT!!!!"

As if this doesn't disturb the crowd. Well the kid is in the seat and the baby is quiet now. How long does this last usually? About 5 minutes!!!! Then we're back in there asking her to take the kid to the lobby. In fact, how about your money back so you can come back another time? Nope, I'm going to sit in the lobby and let my other kids run rampant inside the theatre. Then ask for my money back when the movie is over, cuz my kids really needed to see this movie!!! Sometimes I can't deal with parents. At least they buy concessions though :-)

The Cheapskate - Ok now I realize that movies are expensive, we've discussed this before. But c'mon some people are ridiculous. For example, people who buy concessions, then come back after the movie demanding a refund because it didn't "taste right". C'MON... AFTER THE MOVIE?!?! If it really didn't taste right you can tell right away and I'd be glad to replace it or give you your money back. But why come out after the movie and make a big deal out of it. Especially if half of it is gone! I hate causing a scene though, it's just not worth it.

Teenage Hoodlums - The bane of a movie theatre manager. These kids come in late, talk on their phones, talk during the movie, and generally try to intimidate everyone into letting them act how they want. They sneak people into theatres, and open the exit doors, letting who knows what into the theatre Worse, they try to intimidate the staff into letting them in to Rated R movies, and try to scam the theatre for free tickets. They cover just about all the bases when it comes to a guest that I hate dealing with. It just makes you wonder what their parents are like.

Well, those are a few of the people that I don't like to deal with. Is there any type of person that's not on that list that you don't like to see at the movies? Despite all this, I'll admit most of the time working at the movie is great. If it could pay the bills I'd do it for a living! I don't know what I'm going to do when the hours finally get to me. I have to say its something that I have enjoyed doing for the most part and I should be doing it for a little while :-)

How about Hell's Kitchen last night?!?! I was wrong in my prediction, but the finalist I wanted to win won, so that's ok. I really want to take a trip to Vegas now to check out the restaurants that have been opened by Hell's Kitchen. I really want to see if its as good as the show makes it seem. Who wants to donate to me so I can do that?!?!?

20 Comments Posted!:

starttothink said...

You're totally right about those types of movie-goers.
And even within those types, there are subtypes.
And don't you love the Cheapskate who brings his rowdy kids? If you can afford a night out, you can afford a babysitter.

I say we have a public execution for 1 person a month who disturbs a movie. I guarantee you that it won't take long before everyone is very well-behaved in the theater. :)

joen05 said...

Interesting concept! I've always been a fan of the cattle prod myself. I'm sure that would induce some peace and quiet.

Mandy said...

I thought Jen should have been put into the finale instead of Bonnie, but at least Rock won, so all is good!

Fletch said...

Great perspective - I wrote something like this myself a couple months back (here), but don't often get to hear it from the other side.

I know it might be somewhat costly (and certainly boring), but I'm surprised the bigger theaters don't sit someone at the alternate exits, at least during peak hours (Fri-Sat from 7-10 or so?). With so many kids scamming their way into the theatres (it kills me when a group of kids enters a movie an hour into it...), it probably wouldn't take long to make back the money to pay that person.

joen05 said...

Unfortunately my theatre has an exit in EVERY SINGLE theatre, so I'd need 10 of em. Well, I do have people periodically check in and my projectionist checks often so that helps. I wish I could pay someone to do it, we all like the cheers when someone gets caught. And people do cheer.

Daszzle said...

I would like to add the obnoxious laugher (though I always fear I might fit into this category). Now I'm all for people laughing at appropriate parts but doing one of those crazy loud snorting type laughs long after everyone stopped (or worse, during a part that's clearly not funny) gets old after a while.

joen05 said...

Excellent Daszzle, I have seen and heard those types before. You ever done anything about it? I never thought about what I could try....

Calista*Was*Here said...

Dealing with people u've listed is really nightmare! Although u say u like your job...dunno...to me, that sounds extremely disturbing.

Anyway, I'm glad u find the way to manage it.

Stephanie said...

Ha ha! Great blog! Ahh, going to the movie. I have found that you should go to an R rated movie during the day and a G rated movie for the late showing. Never go see something opening weekend...someone is guaranteed to piss you off!

You did forget to mention to "chatty" guy. You know, the guy who talks to the character the whole time..."don't open that door...you idiot I said don't open that door" "oh, now your gonna get it"

I wonder if these people are even aware they are on "the list"

joen05 said...

Skittle, I'm actually one of those people, but then again I usually watch movies on my own at night! I don't do it when there is a crowd... and I'm gonna guess that they don't realize it and think its normal behavior.. because they can do it at home.....

prin said...

Hmm... The tall guy and/or girl with big hair who sit in the best seats so you end up sitting crooked in your seat just to see? And then of course they have to be bobble heads too so you have to keep moving and adjusting...

And then there's the slow guy. The one who asks the person beside him what's going on as it's going on.

My man does that sometimes, but only because of the language barrier...

Kay said...

You know what drives me up the wall? The people who kick the backs of the seats in front of them! Usually it's children, but sometimes adults do it too. No amount of dirty looks seems to stop this. And I'm always too self-consious to ask them to knock it off because that would disrupt the movie and then everyone in the theater would turn and stare. Any suggestions?

joen05 said...

@Prin, I know what that's like, and sometimes stadium seating doesn't even help! I'll usually get up and move at that point.. but if its sold out I might tell them. Maybe.

@Kay, I've tried the dirty look and you're right, that doesn't help. Unfortunately asking someone usually makes em do it more. I suggest bringing a cattle prod. That gets the message through loud and clear. :-)

matt said...

Well maybe I'm just weird but I don't like it when people sit next to me when there are clearly enough seats elsewhere. I then have awkward moments with the armrest and other personal space issues. Back off Joe Somebody!

Test said...

Hilarious! I have come across every one of those types of movie-goers.

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to exchange links - you have a fabulous blog. :)

whatagem said...

When we went to see the last Star Wars movie 2 grown men were chit chatting away 2 rows behind us. I yelled at them. I hate to see any type of person at the theater. I just hate people in general

joen05 said...

It's settled! All theatres should be personalized. I'll submit the idea to home office tomorrow and we'll all have our own theatres where we get whisked away when we want to see a movie! Great comments everyone! Keep em comin!

Emily Rose said...

About the people that eat half of their popcorn and complain about it after the movie is over.... ya know what... even though you don't want to make a deal about it, I still think someone should.

Even if it's a small thing like popcorn, you and I know that so many people do that. If you just say sorry and give them their money back once the movie is over and clearly that they've eaten most of the popcorn... then you're just showing them they can keep doing it.

Someone's got to be the one to show the movie-goers they can't do that stuff. In the end, it annoys people and hours later it's still being talked about. haha.

joen05 said...

Nice Emily. I might try that this week and see what people do. It's all really how nice you are to me. Be nice and you'll be treated well, be a prick and don't expect much at all.

Technodoll said...

Damn seat kickers... candy munchers... cellphone talkers... crying babies and stinky diapers... ban them AAAALLLL, I say! :-)