Google
Add to Technorati Favorites

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

In the Spirit of Christmas

ShowHype: hype it up!

I like working at the movies. I went over that in a recent post, the top 5 reasons I work at the movies. Pretty obvious. Here's an example of why I do!

Its Friday night, and its late. I'm just waiting for the last movies to get out so that I can go home. Earlier in the night, a woman had called saying that she had lost her purse. I couldn't go looking earlier because the movie was still going on. However, I assured here that if I remembered later, I would go look, and if I couldn't, our night cleaning crew would turn it in if they found it. I hung up, and did not expect her to call back.

She did call back, and at midnight. She said that the night cleaning crew turning it in was unlikely, and it made her uneasy. She then asked how much she would need to pay me to look for it. I was floored. I quickly informed her that I don't need to be paid by her to look for it. Her act of generosity surprised me though, and I told her I'd take a moment to go look right now. I did have other work to do, but she really seemed distressed, and I knew it would be better if I looked. I went in, and the movie had just ended. I located her purse right where she said it would be, and picked the phone back up, informing her that it would be there tomorrow when she came to pick it up.

I had the next day off, so I figured that another manager would give it to her, and they did. However, when I came in on Sunday, I was informed that there was an envelope for me. I opened it up, and there was a thank you note from her, saying that she knew that it was late, and I was tired, but she really appreciated the extra effort to go and find her purse for her. It made me feel really good about myself. Then in the bottom of the envelope was ... money. She said that I should put it towards holiday cheer. I have never been so surprised at work in my life. I wish I had her address so I could return it.... because while I appreciate the offer, it's not necessary, its' my job!

Since I didn't have her address, I took some and bought my staff pizza tonight. I still have roughly half of it left, and I'm not quite sure what to do with it. What do you think I should do?

This story has put me in a good mood. I have noticed that the mood around here has changed though... and I'd like to know what you guys liked in the past that brought you here, and what still brings you here. Please leave a comment and let me know, because while this is my blog on movies and some personal stuff, you are the readers! What don't you like, what you do like, please let me know! I hope everyone's holidays are going well, I know that mine just got better because of today!

4 Comments Posted!:

Unknown said...

I love a happy story where good deeds are rewarded. HOOZAH!

matt said...

I have yet to see a picture of this "new car". What's the deal?

joen05 said...

@john, I know isn't it awesome?

@Matt... I can't find my digital camera cable. I'll look again tonight. the pictures are on my camera.

ChrisT said...

i have a suggestion :) buy your girl friend a nice christmas gift with your earnings just kidding :)trust me u already did the long wait of a CAR