Google
Add to Technorati Favorites

Friday, September 14, 2007

Review: Mr. Woodcock

ShowHype: hype it up!
If you're looking for a quick, feel good comedy then Mr. Woodcock might just hit the spot. As I said before, I wasn't particularly looking forward to this, and I think that really helped me enjoy this movie for what it was.

John Farley was tormented by his P.E. Teacher when he was a child. Farley wasn't exactly the smallest kid on the block, and Mr. Woodcock let him know that. He always pushed Farley hard, and it haunted him as he grew up. However, John managed to get past it and become a successful writer and motivational speaker.

Returning to his hometown in Nebraska, John finds that his mom (Susan Sarandon) is engaged to Mr. Woodcock, his childhood nightmare. Not wanting to allow this marriage to happen, Farley does everything he can to break them up. He digs up dirt on Woodcock's ex wife, tries to humiliate him, even tries to talk him out of marrying his mom. Of course, you'll have to watch the movie to see the results of his efforts! In addition to the main characters, Amy Poehler does a great job as Farley's agent. I always liked her on SNL, and she did well in her role here.

This movie did have some points that I didn't like. It was a little disjointed, and didn't flow as well as it could have. The ending was also rather abrupt. I felt like they were just trying to reach an ending as quickly as they could. Overall I was slightly more impressed than I thought I would be. It's a "cute" comedy, and Billy Bob really delivers his role as Mr. Woodcock quite well. It was kinda weird seeing Stifler act like he did in this movie, but I guess that's because SWS's reputation precedes him!

This one gets a 6.5 out of 10. If you're looking for something fun, go out and see it!

0 Comments Posted!: